Navarro & Wright Consulting Engineers, Inc. is accepting resumes for a Civil Engineer Designer – Highways. This position performs a variety of civil engineering work assignments that require the interpretation and application of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and guidelines, using judgment in making minor adaptations and modifications as needed. This is a professional Civil Engineering position in the State of Delaware with the ability to report to the Smyrna, DE office. The ideal candidate will have 5 to 10 years of pertinent work experience after graduation with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work involves independently performing preliminary engineering studies, preparing plans, specifications and estimates, and recommending designs for embankments, cuts and fills.
- Work involves preparation of conventional types of engineering plans, investigations, studies, designs and permits, having relatively few complex features with reviews by senior engineers upon completion for technical adequacy, quality and completeness.
- Responsible for developing sets of cost effective plans for culvert replacement projects.
- Prepares complete right-of-way plans which address existing and required property takes, identification of existing railroad and public utility facilities, and cultural and environmental features.
- Prepares complete roadway construction plans; performs or reviews mathematical calculations for design geometries, grade lines, alignments and drainage; addresses maintenance and protection of traffic requirements; and, maintains work progress within the project schedule.
- Utilizes engineering and project management software for development of cost effective highway designs, and schedule compliance.
- Evaluates existing pavement structure and prepares pavement designs to meet projected traffic loadings.
- Prepares and submits applications for regulatory waterway and environmental permits, and for non-complex highway occupancy permits.
- Prepares detailed project cost estimates for all roadway and ancillary items.
- Utilizes Quality Assurance/Quality Control Checklists to ensure completeness and quality of plans, drawings and other final work submissions.
- Reviews plans, specifications and estimates packages for legal sufficiency, for compliance with design or construction manuals, and for technical compliance.
- Works with construction inspection personnel, as required to assure that contracted work accomplishes the intent of the roadway designs.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
- Knowledge of engineering principles used in the development of drawings and specifications for components of civil engineering projects.
- Knowledge of engineering principles of construction cost estimating.
- Ability to analyze and present technical data in clear, concise engineering reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, business partners, public officials, and contractor employees.
- Valid Driver’s License and the ability to travel to work sites.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of engineering surveying.
- Ability to use computer software applications to perform engineering modeling and analysis.
- Ability to read and interpret inspection and testing reports, engineering drawings and specifications, and topographic and other maps.
- Ability to travel to field sites and remote locations.
- Ability to walk on steep and uneven terrain, adjacent to highway traffic and adjacent to operating construction and testing equipment.
Primarily requires the ability to sit, use fingers/hands, talk, hear. Requires the following specific types of vision: close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Also requires the ability to walk on steep and uneven terrain, adjacent to highway traffic and adjacent to operating construction and testing equipment.
Office work environment with occasional outdoor work that requires the ability to walk on steep and uneven terrain, adjacent to highway traffic and adjacent to operating construction and testing equipment.
May require some occasional travel to job sites.
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package offered, including 401K.
Qualified candidates may email resumes to email@example.com or mail resume to:
Navarro & Wright Consulting Engineers, Inc.
Attention: Kenneth Jones, Senior Project Manager – Bridges
151 Reno Ave
New Cumberland, PA 17070
Phone: (717) 441-2216
Fax: (717) 441-2218