Navarro & Wright, a progressive and growing consulting engineering firm, seeks a full-time Construction Materials Testing Technician for projects in Central Pennsylvania.
This Technician will support the Engineering Construction Services (EC) Department and will perform a variety of duties primarily including, but not limited to work assignments as follows:
- Attend training as assigned by your supervisor.
- Work in the field including out-of-town assignments and the materials testing laboratory.
- Perform review and testing of soil conditions at construction sites. Testing may involve the use of a nuclear moisture-density gauge, a dynamic cone penetrometer, a pocket penetrometer or other devices.
- Perform review and testing of cast-in-place concrete. Testing may involve the use of a slump cone, a pressure-meter for air-entrainment, a roll meter for air-entrainment, unit weight and yield testing, and temperature. Testing will typically include casting of concrete cylinder specimens weighting anywhere from approximately 8 to 30 pounds each.
- Calculate testing results using arithmetic and basic algebra.
- Write Daily Field Reports or other documents by communicating clearly and effectively.
- Perform tasks involving physically demanding actions including:
- Pushing a 600-pound wheelbarrow containing wet concrete
- Carrying a 90-pound nuclear moisture density gauge and transport case
- Working at various times of the day or night
- Lifting and carrying a metal bucket containing 1/3 of a cubic foot of wet concrete
- Lifting a 94-lb bag of concrete for laboratory or field mixes
- Operating equipment that is dangerous when safety procedures are not followed
- Remain available to work on out-of-town assignments for extended periods of time. Out-of-town assignments may not permit the Technician to return home while the job is in progress.
- Drive to jobsites and maintain a driver’s license in good standing.
- Report to work at various times of day, depending on the location of field work. The availability of your personal vehicle for company use when needed is desirable. Reimbursement for the use of a personal vehicle on a mileage basis will be provided.
- Attend an annual review conducted by your supervisor.
Preferred qualifications are as follows:
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I
- Nuclear Moisture-Density Gauge Certification
- OSHA Safety Certifications
If the applicant does not meet these preferred qualifications, Navarro & Wright will be willing to train the right applicant. The ACI Concrete Field Technician certification will need to be obtained by the employee within the first 120 days of employment. Applicants must ultimately demonstrate the ability to follow and perform testing procedures in accordance with national standards.
Candidates must be in good physical condition to be able to lift up to 90 lbs., and able to work independently with company personnel, be willing to travel, willing to work an irregular schedule, demonstrate good organizational skills, possess a strong work ethic and be able to work in a fast-paced environment. Valid driver’s license is required. Candidate must be available to work overtime, when necessary including possible weekend work. Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package offered, including 401K. All inquiries will be kept confidential.
Please email resumes to Jason Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Navarro & Wright is an Equal Opportunity Employer.