Navarro & Wright Consulting Engineers, Inc. (N&W) is accepting resumes for a Geotechnical Engineering Specialist to provide geological and geotechnical engineering and technical support for geotechnical assignments involving analysis, design or improvements to major infrastructure projects such as buildings, structures, pipelines, highways, tunnels, bridges and similar facilities.
The successful candidate will be required to interact with clients and local and state government contacts and with other team members. The successful candidate will:
- Follow instructions and complete geotechnical engineering assignments, as directed.
- Maintenance/organization of office paperwork and/or digital files.
- Correspond with Clients and staff, as requested.
- Use appropriate public relations when dealing with co-workers, clients, observers, and the public. Have strong interpersonal skills and communicate effectively with people, both orally and in writing.
- Strive to achieve a higher performance level, increase your knowledge of understanding geotechnical engineering standards and practices consistently.
- Be dependable / consistent with attendance, and follow company policies and protocols.
- Must have National Highway Institute (NH) Subsurface Investigation Qualification Training.
- Must have or be eligible to complete MD SHA Temporary Traffic Control Traffic Manager Training.
- Perform drilling inspection for MD SHA, MDTA, and other governmental and private projects, whenever requested.
- Review and correct typed logs, boring profiles, and drafted media.
- Perform site reconnaissance for geotechnical issues and geological information, as necessary.
- Assist in verifying drilling contractor quantities/invoices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of building codes and industry design standards relevant to geotechnical engineering.
- Compose and review Geotechnical Engineering Reports for roadways, buildings and other structures, as well as Structure Foundation Reports for bridges, culverts, retaining walls, and ITS structures, and associated calculations, and Slope Stability reports.
- Review field and typed boring logs and boring profiles for accuracy and in accordance with specifications.
- Compose Laboratory Testing Plans and review laboratory testing results for soil and rock.
- Review Drilling Contractor solicitations and statewide contracts.
- Determine termination criteria and specifications for subsurface investigations.
- Compose and review Slope Stability studies.
- Be familiar using Lpile, GSTABL, Driven, and GRLWEAP software programs.
- Work in a team environment, and mentor junior geotechnical personnel.
- Occasional travel to project sites and other N&W offices required.
- Perform tasks independently, organize information, and complete deliverables expediently.
- Assist in preparing proposals by performing preliminary research into the soils, geology and other subsurface concerns related to the proposed project.
- Interact clients, attend project meetings, and maintain strong client relationships.
- Stay within established schedules and budgets for each project.
Candidates must demonstrate strong computer skills and excellent written and oral communication skills. Candidates with a minimum of 5-8 years of experience and a degree in geotechnical engineering or related discipline are encouraged to apply. Professional Engineer (P.E.) registration in Maryland preferred, but minimum of E.I.T. is required. Registration in Pennsylvania, Washington DC and other jurisdictions a plus.
Interested individuals should have a strong work ethic, be in good physical condition, be able to work independently and must possess a valid driver’s license. Competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package offered, including 401K.
Qualified candidates may email resumes to email@example.com or mail resume to:
Navarro & Wright Consulting Engineers, Inc.
Attention: John K. O’Connell, Chief Operating Officer
936 Ridgebrook Road, Suite B1
Sparks, MD 21152